By Opeyemi from sisiyemii.wordpress.com
Hey people! Well I’m a FOODIE not necessarily because I love to eat (I’m not a glutton), I just have a flair for cooking. As we all know sharwarma is a very common street snack sold particularly on the streets of Lagos and funny thing is… It’s pretty easy to make at home. It’s originally a Lebanese dish but I tell you “Nigerians eat it even more than the Lebanese”… Although the Middle Eastern sharwarma is a little bit different from what we make here… Same concept just more ingredients.
So ladies and gentlemen I present to you the “Nigerian chicken sharwarma”.
- Pita/sharwarma bread
- Chicken breast
- Knoor chicken seasoning cubes (2)
- Salad cream (optional)
- Dry pepper
- Onion bulb (1)
- Vegetable oil (4 tsps)
- Hot dog
- Season the chicken breast to your taste preference with seasoning cubes, salt and dry pepper and leave in the refrigerator for 25-30 minutes to marinate.
- Add 4tsp of veg oil to a frying pan heat the pan and place the already seasoned chicken breasts in the pan.
- Allow to cook for 3 mins and then make incisions with your knife to allow for heat penetration. Give it another 5 mins to cook until it’s eatable.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cut into tiny strips on a chopping board.
- Chop the cabbage into tiny bits, sharwarma is literally a sandwich so you can put whatever veggie you want like onion,carrots and lettuce depending on what you love… I’m just trying to be as economical as possible.
- Add a bit of dry pepper to the hot dog and 2tsps of veg oil in the frying pan,then sear for 5mins under low heat… So it doesn’t get burnt.
- Mix the mayonnaise (6tsps) together with 1/2 tap of sugar and a bit of water to give it a fine consistency, then mix thoroughly. The cream shouldn’t be too thick.
- Get the sharwarma bread and divide it into two like this
- Apply the ketchup sparingly to the bread…it shouldn’t be too much to prevent the bread from being wet
- Add some chopped chicken, hot dog (1 or 2 ), and sprinkle some dry pepper to the bread… Don’t mind me, I love pepper.
- Add some chopped cabbage and more chicken (optional)
- Then add some cream, ketchup and more dry pepper… Well we’re almost done.
- Roll tightly, the wrap has to be firm so that the filling doesn’t pour out. Like this…
- Place a pan with foil on it and allow to heat up for some time then place the sharwarma wrap on it to heat upI don’t have a grill so I’m making use of a fry pan … They practically serve the same purpose in this case… “heat supply”
- Finally wrap it in a paper and place back on the pan for more heat supply (5 mins) although, I prefer to use a foil paper because it’s a better conductor of heat…
- Serve HOT with a chilled drink… I made smoothie.
- Before I blended the fruits.
- End product Thanks for reading… I hope I get feedbacks after you must have tried this recipe at home. Don’t forget to like this post… Thank you guys… Bye for now.